Making America Great Again
Land and Agriculture
President Donald J. Trump Achievements
IMPROVING THE LIVES OF RURAL AMERICANS
In December 2017, the U.S. Department of Agriculture signaled that that they planned to give states more flexibility in how they administer food stamps.
The Department of Agriculture issued guidance that would give more flexibility to state operations of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- The new program maximized flexibility and holds states more accountable for the delivery of food benefits.
President Trump created the Interagency Task Force on Agriculture and Rural Prosperity that Secretary Sonny Perdue chairs and developed suggestions.
- Suggestions include focusing on broadband access, improving the lives of rural Americans, developing methods to support a rural workforce, harness technological innovation for rural communities, and focusing on economic development in rural areas.
August 2018 - USDA Announced An Investment Of More Than $124 Million To Help Rebuild And Improve Rural Water Infrastructure In 23 States
September 2018 - The USDA Announced That They Would Partner With HHS To Support Rural Communities Combating Opioid Misuse.
- Under this partnership, cooperative extension partners will be able to apply for grants fromHHS to help communities combat Opioid Use Disorders
September 2018 - The USDA Announced That They Formalized An Agreement With A Nonprofit Organization To Purchase Homes From The USDA And Convert Them Into Transitional Housing For People Recovering From Opioid Misuse
- These houses will allow houses in Kentucky's Hart and Rockcastle counties to be converted into transitional housing for individuals and families
- This is the first initiative that will allow the department to sell vacant and foreclosed homes at a discounted price to provie housing, treatment, and job training for people in drug treatment and recovery