Making America Great Again
President Donald J. Trump Achievements
PROTECTING THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND OUR HOMELAND:
President Trump enforced immigration laws to protect American communities and American jobs.
President Trump called on Congress to fully fund a wall along the Southern border, to close legal loopholes that enable illegal immigration, to end chain migration, and to eliminate the visa lottery program.
President Trump pulled the United States out of negotiations for a “Global Compact on Migration,” a plan for global governance of immigration and refugee policy that may have compromised U.S. sovereignty.
Under President Trump’s leadership, the Department of Homeland Security took action to wind down the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in an orderly fashion, following the assessment of the Department of Justice (DOJ) that DACA lacks legal authorization.
- This action gives Congress the opportunity to consider appropriate legislative solutions, as required by our Constitution.
The Trump Administration rescinded the unlawful Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA) program.
The Department of Homeland Security launched the office of Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement (VOICE).
From President Trump’s inauguration through the end of FY 2017, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) made 110,568 arrests of illegal aliens, a 40 percent increase compared to the same time period the prior year.
- Over the same time period, removals that resulted from arrests increased by 37 percent.
- Of the illegal aliens arrested by ICE, over 92 percent had criminal convictions or pending criminal charges, were ICE fugitives, or were illegal reentrants.
- In FY 2017, there was a 17 percent decrease in border removals, which shows the deterrent effect of strong interior enforcement.
The number of counties participating in the 287(g) program, which gives state and local law enforcement entities delegated authority by ICE to enforce immigration in their jurisdiction, has doubled.
In FY 2017, ICE conducted 226,119 removals. The proportion of removals resulting from ICE arrests increased from 65,332, or 27 percent of total removals in FY 2016 to 81,603, or 36 percent of total removals, in FY 2017.
The Trump Administration cracked down on sanctuary cities by improving the Administration of Federal grants to increase information sharing on illegal aliens.
SAFEGUARDING AMERICA’S COMMUNITIES:
President Trump protects American communities and restores law and order so Americans can feel safe in their communities.
The Department of Justice announced more than $98 million in grant funding to hire 802 additional full-time law enforcement officers.
- President Trump signed an Executive Order to restore state and local law enforcement’s access to surplus Defense Department equipment through the 1033 program, including safety equipment.
The DOJ has worked with Central American partners to arrest and charge about 4,000 MS-13 members.
- This includes the alleged leader of MS-13’s “East Coast Program.”
The Department of Homeland Security arrested 796 MS-13 gang members and associates in FY 2017, an 83 percent increase from the previous year.
President Trump signed three Executive Orders aimed at cracking down on international criminal organizations.
In June, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the creation of the new National Public Safety Partnership, a cooperative initiative with cities to reduce violent crime.
ENHANCING BORDER SECURITY AND IMMIGRATION ENFORCEMENT:
- The White House negotiated $1.6 billion in border wall funding.
- Increase of more than 10% in ICE funding.
- Federal agents have seized nearly 1 million lbs. (981,000) of narcotics on the border.
- U.S. Southwest Border apprehensions dropped from 5,093 in June to 3,938 in July. A difference of 1,155 apprehensions.